Skip to content

FAQ: What is the Department of Education’s (ED) Tax ID number?

September 21, 2010

Here is another question that our team seems to get quite often.  It’s pretty basic, but if one person is thinking it, I am sure there are others that might have the same question as well.

Question: What is the Department of Education’s (ED) Tax ID number?


EIN: 52-1198289
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, D.C. 20202

As always, let us know if you have questions. We’re here to help find the answers.

10 Comments leave one →
  1. September 22, 2010 5:53 am

    Just wanted to say I am a fan of the blog, Jim. We were just looking for this number this week, and sent an inquiry email to ED but hadn’t heard back yet. 🙂 Thanks!!

  2. Barbara Smith permalink
    January 23, 2013 6:01 pm

    My name is Barbara G. Smith, I have received a 1098-E. I have never had a student loan in my NAME. Someone is using my information. What do I do from here? I have gotten in touch with everyone that i have have told too. PLEASE let me know what to do now.
    Thank You.

    • January 23, 2013 6:46 pm


      Let me check into this with folks here at Nelnet and see what they suggest. Thank you for posting a comment. I will get back to you tomorrow.


      • January 24, 2013 12:21 pm


        If you could send me an email with a number we can reach you, I will have one of our Fraud Aversion Manager contact you. We want to double check everything for you. My email is

        Thank you,

  3. January 24, 2013 5:00 pm

    It’s awesome for me to have a site, which is valuable for my experience. thanks admin

  4. January 25, 2013 12:20 am

    After exploring a number of the blog articles on your website, I really appreciate your technique of blogging.
    I book-marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back soon.
    Please check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

  5. Cindi permalink
    January 25, 2013 10:33 am

    Is this FEIN number correct regardless of where you send your payment? I have a payment address in Atlanta GA?

    • January 28, 2013 8:16 pm


      Not knowing what kind of loans you have it is hard to give you a definitive answer. I did get this information for you:

      You can obtain the tax identification number for your Department of Education-owned student loans from your servicer. Nelnet lists the amount of student loan interest paid and the tax identification number on statements sent in January. You can also get this information by logging in at or using our automated phone system at 888.486.4722. If you have only Department of Education student loans, serviced by Nelnet, the tax identification number is 52-1198289.

      Does this help?
      Thanks for the question,

      • daniela permalink
        December 11, 2013 9:27 am

        i was wondering if that tax Identification number was for the department of education in new york?

  6. March 24, 2013 3:58 am

    Thanks in favor of sharing such a pleasant opinion, post is nice,
    thats why i have read it fully

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: