Skip to content

Randy Thompson: Father, Husband and Friend

December 28, 2010

Randy Thompson

It is with heavy heart that I write this blog tonight .  I learned today that Randy Thompson, Financial Aid Director from Sheridan College in Sheridan, Wyoming passed away last Thursday.  He also served as the RMASFAA Treasurer.

Those mere sentences do not come close to summing up what a wonderful, warm man he has been to so many students, coworkers and colleagues.  They do not convey the tremendous husband and father he was to his wife, Patti, and his children.

As a young financial aid professional, I had taken over the position as the director of financial aid at Western Wyoming Community College.  I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, truly.  Randy was always right there to help me out.  I couldn’t have made it without him.  As my career changed, I would get to visit him for meetings on his campus, more lunches than I can count, serve on commitees together, and meet his family.  He even taught me how to fly fish at a WyASFAA conference.  Which had to make him one of the most patient men on earth.

In all the chaos of  daily life and work, it is the people that I have worked with over the years that mean the most to me. That have made my job a career.  I would not be where I am today if it were not for people like Randy Thompson.  He was, and will always remain, a  mentor and friend.  He will be truly missed.

Jim

7 Comments leave one →
  1. Sandra permalink
    January 4, 2011 6:30 am

I knew Randy a million years ago when he lived in Scottsbluff,Ne. He was a great guy. How did he die?

2. January 4, 2011 3:27 pm

He certainly was a great guy. You may remember that he loved to fish. He suffered from a heart attack while he was ice fishing last Thursday. They are starting a memorial fund and I can get the address for you if you want to send a card or anything to his family.

3. Sandra permalink
    January 11, 2011 7:24 am

thanks for your response, I did finally see the obit. I know how much Randy loved the outdoors and fishing. I have the contact info. thanks.

4. Wendy permalink
    June 4, 2011 12:12 am

Can you tell me if this Randy Thompson went to high school in Winnipeg, Mb Canada?

• June 4, 2011 6:13 am

I am not sure. I don’t think so, though. I think he was from Nebraska. I’ll ask and let you know. –Jim

5. Travis permalink
    February 21, 2013 12:17 am

Jim, I am Randy’s oldest son Travis. I came across your blog and wanted to take a moment to thank you for the kind words about our father. He left a lasting impression that made an impact on so many and lived his life to the fullest. He is greatly missed. Thank you again and “God Bless”.– Travis, US Navy

• February 21, 2013 1:05 am

Travis,

So great to hear from you. It is hard to believe it has been over two years since your dad has passed. I hope you are all doing well. Take good care and stay safe.

Jim